Yes We Can... Do Better for Cyclists
Now that Rahm Emanuel is back on the ticket in Chicago, let's look at what the potential next Mayor has revealed so far about his plan for cycling in the windy city. Chicago blogger Steven Vance has a good post about it. In general, Mr. Emanuel's plan to improve biking seems pretty promising.
Electoral promises aren't the safest bet around, but let's have a look anyway. What has been promised so far?
- He will build 25 miles of new bike lanes each year and prioritize protected bike lanes.
- "...initiate a review of [the Bike 2015 Plan's] goals and timelines to identify opportunities to expand the plan and accelerate the pace of implementation."
- Rahm will have the Bloomingdale Trail open and functional by the end of his term.
- Make an ordinance that says buildings with over 200 workers must install indoor bike parking.
- Double the number of on-street bike parking, including in neighborhoods.
Via Steven Vance, Streetsblog