Congressman Talks Cycling

I've been a little heavy with the videos this week, but I just came across this great Politico video of Representative Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) talking about his favorite mode of transportation: cycling. Blumenauer is beloved in the cycling and livable streets communities for his consistent and outspoken support of cycling as a serious mode of transportation. He founded the Congressional Bike Caucus, after all. As this video is evidence, clearly he doesn't just talk the talk, but, um, pedals the pedal?

Here's the takeaway message that everyone considering tuning up their bike should hear:
Over the course of 15 years in Congress, I have burned hundreds of thousands of calories. As I run my errands around Washington D.C., I’ve never been stuck in traffic, I’ve never had to look for a parking place, and I’ve saved thousands of dollars. It’s kind of a win-win-win, burning calories instead of fossil fuel.
I love how the reporter is dressed like he's ready for Le Tour and Blumenauer looks like a normal commuter you'd see on the subway. (Well, you can decide for yourself whether his trademark bow-tie is "normal.") I always argue to friends that the best change cycling has of being taken seriously as a mode of transportation is for cyclists to look normal doing it. In other words: screw the spandex.